Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Ready, Set, Activity!

Well, talk about "fighting" today...I REALLY struggled to make myself work out.  I finally went to a local track and ran quarter mile sprints alternating with quarter mile walks for approximately two miles.  It gets so dark early now that I decided I didn't feel like running my usual route, figuring that the track is safer and more public (lotsa people out tonight).  I'm currently in "training" for a 5K on Thanksgiving Day.  My cousin, Sandra, is running/walking with me and I think we will do fine.  We may not run the whole time, or even half the time, but the distance itself is not a problem.  We did a 5K in October and did fairly well in that we finished.  Our new spurt of running is within the "Master Plan" my cousin has decided on that will prepare us for the August 2012 Ramblin' Rose Super Spring Triathlon.  We'll run now, pull out the bikes in January, start swimming in April and start training with bricks, etc. about 10 weeks out.  We are "building our base" now. 

Many years ago, my cousin and I completed a marathon (yes, a marathon!) in Anchorage, Alaska in memory of her mother, my aunt Virginia, who died of a particularly insidious form of leukemia.  What a journey that was!  We did not run...we walked the entire distance in 7 hours and 52 minutes.  The scenery was incredible and the weather was excellent.  The sun literally never really set since it was during the days of the "midnight sun".  Several years after that, I got a bit more adventurous and completed a few half-marathons, two with my husband, and another with Sandra. Ironically enough, I don't particularly care for running, but I have reality based reasons for knowing how to run if I need to which involve self-preservation and self-defense (more on that in another post.)  I am not sure that I could complete that kind of distance now, even with training, but I have seriously considered it.  In my more ambitious moments, I have considered one day training and running for the Grandfather Mountain Marathon that starts in Boone, NC, finishes at Grandfather Mountain and is billed as, "One of America's Toughest Marathons".  It is all uphill.  It would be a serious challenge, not to mention a heck of an accomplishment.  We shall see...

I wonder if my cousin, Sandra, will go along with me??

No comments:

Post a Comment