Friday, November 11, 2011

Low Impact Karate

Every week at my dojo, a few of us get together for an informal class in which we do kata in a slow, isometric way (with tension in each movement). We don't jump, do high kicks or spar. The class is intended to give us a decent workout, work on our precision in our techniques, and often, discuss applications of different moves. Though I don't go every week, I realize that it is a nice way to end a tough week. I generally work on my stances and focusing each move. Instead of my scheduled run, I decided to stop off at the dojo, take class, and hang out with my friends. Initially, I was a bit perturbed with myself since I sorta blew off my running workout (less than 2 weeks until my Thanksgiving 5K!), but that's the ultra-competitive part of myself that I have to constantly combat (er, compete?) with for control. The important thing is that I was ACTIVE. I broke a sweat, worked on my favorite sport (sorry, running...you are not my favorite), and laughed with my friends. Sounds like I won, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment