Monday, November 7, 2011

How To Fight LIke a Girl (or musings on fitness, martial arts, and life)

My name is Leslie and I am a martial artist, runner/walker, strength trainer.  I have several opinions on the state of fitness and health in our modern society, and years ago, I probably would have just kept them to myself.  In my "older" age, however, I have decided that if I express those opinions I must be prepared to "walk the walk" so to speak.  The end result is that I am starting this blog, even if I am the only one who ever reads it, in order to perhaps give some food for thought with regard to fitness, sports and physical activity.

So, my opinions with regard to fitness in society?  Well, I heard from a coworker whose husband teaches physical education in an elementary school that physical fitness tests were recently given and a very dismal number of those children (less than 20%) performed well enough to pass.  I see many employees in the building I work take the elevator in the morning to the 2nd floor.  I know people, some of whom are my friends, who get winded if they are walking and talking at the same time.

Another opinion regarding fitness in society?  Some individuals (mostly women) think it is "gross" to sweat.  Honestly, the sweat I get from a good hard workout rarely smells really bad.  In a way, I think it can be somewhat cleansing.  Measure that sweat with the one I get when I am having to testify in court (as part of my job, not 'cause I'm a criminal or anything!), and I can truly say that THAT sweat is icky, gross!

A final opinion (for today) is that people should desire to visit their doctors for sports-related injuries (most of which really are short-term) rather than a visit to get treatment for a long-term disease.  I will say, however, that not all doctors seem to subscribe to this particular view, especially if you are a woman.  It is in your best interest to find a physician who subscribes to the idea that prevention is a much better goal that disease management.

So, lest anyone think that I am God's gift to physical fitness, I struggle daily to keep myself on track, to do healthy things and to eat healthily.  In fact, I tend toward being bigger than smaller.  My cousin says we must be descended from hobbits, because we are short and stout.  I am beginning to believe she has a point, as hobbits, like me, probably don't come off well on the traditional BMI charts.  Activity is the one way I've been able to control my weight, though I acknowledge I could do more. 

Maybe in the putting down of my thoughts about my own journey toward more fitness, I can maybe offer some information that others aren't aware of, or maybe it's just a way to keep myself honest as I work toward my goals.  Either way, I plan to fight complacency, my own ignorance, and societal attitudes the whole way.

No comments:

Post a Comment