Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Workout Lazies

Sheesh...imagine someone who doesn't like taking her own advice. Don't think I know anyone like that. Nope. No way.

I (*gasp*) skipped my workout at the gym tonight. I seesawed back and forth about whether I shouldn't just go, even though I felt like crap, or if I should bag it. After taking a short little walk around the complex where I work this afternoon, I realized that working out tonight was not going to be in the column of the greatest decisions of all time for me. Needless to say, I bagged the gym and while I think that was a very wise decision for my somewhat beat-up body, I get grumpy when I don't get my endorphins raised.

Physically, I know my body will thank me later. Mentally, I am stressed out, so I am sort of losing just a little bit of what normally makes me feel better. First off (and I realize I am probably a very poor advertisement for karate right now), my left foot is very bruised on the instep courtesy of a horribly timed kick to one of my workout partners. Secondly, my right calf muscle was seriously strained at some point during my workout on Monday. Thirdly, I have a bruise on my shin roughly the shape of Turkey. Lastly, I got inadvertently "bopped" on the bridge of my nose (also during Monday) and now my sinuses are joining the chorus of pain.

Despite my whining, I know that tomorrow's workout and subsequent class will be much better for what feels like "workout laziness." Many would argue that taking care of my body is not laziness; in fact, I believe I have said much the same in a prior post. What hit me like a load of bricks is that my workouts, my pursuit of fitness, and my desire to feel strong and empowered is more a way of life for me than just a hobby. Karate is the same. I study karate-jitsu (or karate techniques), but the life I try to live with the principles embodied in the study of karate itself is karate-do ("karate way"). Being active is not just something I do around my life. I also put my life around being active.

So, I will grump my way through the rest of the evening, play a bit on the computer, and hopefully, come out all better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment