Thursday, January 26, 2012

Putting the Positive Spin on the "Blah Blah"

It's been pretty gray and rainy here off and on for the past several weeks. It's also been oddly spring-like warm, followed by more seasonal temperatures that tend to take me off guard. As a result, I've been feeling rather blah, despite maintaining my fairly regular training schedule. Since my exercise routine is what keeps me fairly sane, when it doesn't work as well as usual, I tend to get a bit....(insert appropriately descriptive word here...you know the one I mean...). Anyway, motivation has been lagging a bit and when I don't find myself enjoying my workouts, well, darn it, that just makes everything else seem just a smidge more difficult all around.

So what do I do to get over this phase (because I do know it is just a phase)? Good question. Even though my workouts have not been very inspirational lately, I have managed to just "stick to it" although I didn't really want to. I'm not patting myself on the back. Actually, since my workouts have become such a significant part of my life, honestly, it's gotten to be more the "path of least resistance" type of action. Needless to say, I am well aware that the (appropriately descriptive word) would be multiplied by a factor of 10 if I skipped them and did what my mood suggested and drive straight home after work and lie around like a slug.

There is a positive spin to having stuck to my routine that I discovered last night and tonight at the dojo. For the past several months, I have not participated in kobudo (Okinawan weapons) because using the different types of weapons caused me to develop "tennis elbow" (kobudo elbow?). Instead, I have been primarily working at the gym on strengthening my upper body, particularly my shoulders and upper back. I finally returned to kobudo class after this layoff and discovered that even with a layoff, the increased strength in my upper body has made the weapon manipulations easier! In fact, the lifting has also helped strengthen my forearms, as well, and for the first time in months, my elbow does not hurt after class! I noticed this especially after working with the sai (looks like a miniature metal sword with prongs) since this is what initially caused my elbow to begin hurting. While they are not especially heavy, after working with them for 30-45 minutes straight, they feel as if they weigh a ton! Tonight was the first time that my arms weren't shaky afterward!

Last night, I also went to the dojo for my workout to simply participate in one of the regular classes. As I was doing my kata, I noticed that the extra strength training has added a new dimension to my movements. I don't feel as if I am "forcing" the movements, but rather, my body is gaining more flow. And flow is exactly what I am aiming for! My stances seem more solid and my body, as a whole, seems to be more in sync with itself. It sounds weird, I know! But last night, despite my crappy mood, was much better than I had anticipated. Perhaps it is akin to the sometimes elusive "runner's high" or the "sweet spot" where everything just clicks. While I am not positive this is due to my work in the weight room, until proven otherwise, it is what I claim!

No comments:

Post a Comment