Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Great Outdoors

I was reminded for about the millionth time tonight that I really enjoy being outside. It is a really easy trap to fall into that if we are in the winter months that we can't possibly go outside because it's too cold, too wet, too...whatever. In some places, especially to the north, people would never go outside if this were the case. I am fortunate to live in a very temperate climate and, for the most part, the weather here is quite nice.

At my karate school we've just started a new semester of instruction for our college students who take our class for college credit. What a really neat bunch these guys are! The major challenge for us as instructors is floor space, particularly since we have a wide variance in expertise. We have the brand new beginners from the college, several intermediate students who returned from last semester, as well as our regular students who are more advanced. We split the groups up and I took the advanced students outside in the parking lot (yes, it was a bit dark and a bit chilly!). We trained as if we were inside, but had to contend with the elements (wind, threat of rain), as well as the distractions that are more easily shut out when we train inside. As our school is on a main thoroughfare, it was a bit noisy at times. The students were real troopers, however, and met the challenge head-on. Balance was compromised at times, as we trained in regular shoes and, at one point, we feared it might rain.

What I realized, as I allowed my hands to thaw out once I returned inside afterward was that I felt more exhilarated than if I had stayed inside. The air felt fresher outside, I was more attuned to how I had to move on an uneven surface, and I could not rely on the bank of mirrors that we have inside the dojo to see if I was performing a technique correctly. Instead, I had to rely on my own muscle memory and how my body felt. It reminded me of why I enjoy running outside when I really don't like to run...yes, I really don't like to run, but every run outdoors reminds me of why I enjoy being fit. In fact, years ago when I played adult coed soccer, we were playing a scrimmage game when a downpour began. We continued to play...mud, wet ball, sliding in the rainy grass. What a blast! I was sopping wet at the end, but that was probably the most fun I ever had playing soccer!

The point to this is that we should take the time to enjoy the outdoors every chance we get. It's okay to get wet. It's okay to be a little cold. Yes, you should dress appropriately, but don't let the little voice in the back of your head tell you that if you go outside in the cold that you will get sick. If you layer properly, you can still enjoy being outside and getting exercise. In fact, I'm not sure that being cooped inside breathing stale air doesn't make us more susceptible to all the icky cold germs floating around! I have several friends tell me about times they've been running, hiking, whatever outside and they share their stories of nature...running across a deer family or seeing a really beautiful sunrise/sunset. Tonight I was able to notice the cloud bank moving in from the west and how it made an awesome pattern across the sky. It was a little thing, but for me, it really made me appreciate the beauty of those things that aren't man made.

No comments:

Post a Comment