Saturday, December 10, 2011

One of my friends got injured today while working out. Although injuries can and do happen even under the best of circumstances, I'm really sad about this because she is another of my "inspirations." Not only does she battle diabetes, but she fights the same fight that many of us over 30 deal with--aches, pains, and the like. She's a mom with two kids who also works outside the home, yet she has been training diligently for her promotion to her first degree black belt in karate. Needless to say, she's hit a snag, but when I spoke with her at the emergency room today, she was still speaking optimistically of the future. Her injuries will heal, of course, but having dealt in the past with injuries which negated my ability to work out regularly, I admire her spunk and fortitude.

On an upbeat note: today I had five new students in my women's only karate class! I had a blast teaching these women! None of them had ever set foot in a dojo before and they felt all the awkwardness that beginners feel when starting out. They hung in there though! I get really excited about introducing women to the martial arts. It's always awesome to see the true strength that women possess and even more rewarding to see THEM realize that they are strong and empowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment