Friday, June 1, 2012

Run, Rabbit, Run!

Although running is not my favorite activity (Ok, I mostly hate running), it serves me in so many ways and helps keep my fitness levels up.  I'm a bit more focused on running at the moment due to the Ramblin' Rose Women's Only Triathlon in August.  I used to have a better relationship with running, as I took off about a year and a half from martial arts and used running as a way to stay somewhat in shape.  During that time, I trained for three half-marathons and before that, I dipped a toe in the waters by doing a full marathon (walking) in Alaska.  Moving oneself for a really large distance through only the use of one's feet is possibly one of the coolest things ever!

Although I am far from an expert, I learned several things about running. First off, unless you are running for competition or running, literally, for your life, running can be just as slow as you want.  If you would rather train for speed, there are a plethora of training plans involving speed work and assisting you with completing a certain distance within a certain time-frame.  For those like myself who just need to cover the certain distance without worrying about winning, the best way to train is to start out sloooowly.  Instead of training for distance, train for time.  In other words, plan to move your body for, say, twenty minutes and then increase the time over successive weeks (not days!) until you are doing a set amount of time.  A good goal for a slower runner is to aim for running for 40 minutes at a time.  In general, if you can run for 40 minutes, you can cover a 5k (3.1 miles).

A second concept I finally got through my thick, mostly over-comptetive skull, is that you don't have to run the entire time.  In fact, it is thought now that mixing running and walking, particularly for beginners, but even for more experienced runners, can actually assist in a better quality workout.  There are a multitude of training plans for running/walking also.  The most popular and the one for which there are several really decent apps is the Couch to 5k program.  Generally, most of the apps now will let you have your own music, but I started using Robert Ullrey's plan several years ago, and that served me well.  (Admittedly, I would rather run to my own music!)  There are cues for when to walk, when to run, as well as time at the beginning for the warm-up and cool-down.

One other tip that I got after many years is that you really, really should invest in some actual running shoes, preferably at a running specialty store.  I discovered, after much pain, that my arches are really high (who knew?  I thought everyone's arches were high! Isn't that why they are called ARCHES??).  This resulted in a horrid case of plantar faciitis that pretty much made running and martial arts extremely painful.  In addition, I tend to wear my running shoes only when I'm working out or when I feel I need some extra cushioning for my poor little arches and I'm going to be walking a great deal.  You don't NEED the tech t-shirts or fancy running shorts, but it is true that these items offer benefits that your old cotton clothing doesn't.  That being said, if you can afford it, go for it.  If not, you can add items like this slowly (maybe as a reward for completing a couple weeks of running!).

Finally, running supplements martial arts and vice versa.  Cardio training is an important aspect of martial arts training, and if you don't think so, let your kumite go to the mat and try to get out of a hold while flat on your back.  Trust me!  You need your cardio!  In addition, from a purely practical standpoint, it is better to have at least gotten your body used to actually running before you really have to run from an attacker.  Adrenaline can take you farther than normal, but always assume that your attacker knows how to run.  If they don't and you do, all the better for you, but if they do, you want to be able to use your adrenaline and your training.

Here are some really good books about running:

Mina Samuels- Run Like a Girl

Claire Kowalchik- The Complete Book of Running for Women

And for you guys...

Bob Glover- The Runner's Handbook


Finally, Runner's World magazine is perhaps the seminal publication on all things running for beginners to experts.



Why are you still sitting here reading this?  Go run!!

No comments:

Post a Comment