Sunday, June 3, 2012

Waiting for Patience

One of the foundations of studying karate in our dojo is "Perfecting the mind of patience."  This is very likely the most difficult of the five principles for me.  I have never been a particularly patient person, although age and maturity do tend to go a long way toward mitigating patience in general.

Patience is a much more Eastern concept, as we in the modern Western world tend to want things to happen NOW, not later.  This makes martial arts a somewhat difficult endeavor for many.   Some of the techniques that we learn, while simple to do, can take years to master.  So, for us Westerners who need to see results immediately, the thought of spending that much time attaining a goal can be a chore.

Patience is more than a concept in martial arts; it is a cornerstone.  Patience means taking the time to really learn a skill or technique before moving on to the next.   I confess to being in a hurry sometimes when I'm learning something new.  I want to "get to the good part."  Realistically, when learning, what part ISN'T the good part?  In our competitive world, however, we always push ourselves to be better or THE best.  Perhaps this will sound a bit mean, but honestly, giving trophies to children who participate in a sport just because they participated I believe can eliminate the drive or determination to work toward anything.  I can see the reason for the trophy-giving...it is powerfully important to ensure that children grow up with self-esteem and self-worth, but if everything one does is just GREAT and THE BEST EVER, then why try to improve?  One of the most difficult parts of being a leader in my karate school is sometimes telling a student that he or she did not do well enough to promote to the next belt rank.  I do this not to hurt them, but because we expect all students to earn their belts.  Patience is a great teacher; I have personally witnessed students that we have held to the same rank be promoted at the next test because they had patience and did not quit!


I am the world's worst example sometimes of patience.  I've noticed that many of my training partners are the same way, even in other areas of our lives.  I attempt to play the bass guitar and have for a couple years.  Well, darn it, I should be really, really good at it by now, surely!  Unfortunately, I have a long way to go...it doesn't help that I know many incredible musicians and am constantly comparing my skills to theirs!  I also am training to swim, bike, and run (all in one day) and, gosh, I just KNOW that I should be a better swimmer/biker/runner  than I am. After all, I've been training since January, for crying out loud!  I've recently learned the kata, Chinto, and I should definitely have those crane stances perfectly balanced, right?  That'd be a big, fat, hairy "Nope!"

Fortunately for me, the concept of perfecting the mind of patience is the only perfection I need to worry about.  If I am patient, progress will be made.  I can say that I'm already a better cyclist now than I was a few months ago.  This concept is the one also that makes me willing to take a few risks and learn new things at my advanced age of 40+!  While learning patience has been a life-long endeavor for me, and I dare say that I will never fully reach the pinnacle, martial arts as a path to patience has helped me get further along the road than I would have otherwise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment