Friday, February 24, 2012

Ok, so you have considered taking martial arts classes and being one who prefers to research something before jumping in with both feet, you start clicking away with your mouse and searching on the Internet for information about martial arts and, maybe even more specifically, about martial arts and women.  In the process, you see LOTS of sites pertaining to women in karate, jiujitsu, MMA, whatever.  You click on pictures and, if you are like me, you think, "Those women don't look anything like me!  I'm too (short, tall, overweight, skinny, stiff, awkward, etc.) to ever do THAT!"  Not only that, but when you look at some of the pictures, especially the "posed" ones, you may notice that the women are all doing really, really high kicks...I mean, way high, often over their own heads.  Or gymnastic type splits.  Naturally, you also think, "well, I could never do martial arts because I could never kick that high or do that split, or crouch down that low!"

So, first of all, while I do respect most of those women we see on the Internet and yes, they have all worked very hard to get where they are, head high kicks are not necessary in martial arts.  Most of these women have trained for years and have developed the agility and ability to kick high and that's super.  Keep in mind that this is mostly the "Hollywood" version of martial arts.  Myself?  Well, I quit kicking head high long ago.  Although some styles, tae kwon do, for example, emphasize beautiful, high kicks, that for me, are just not realistic.  Also, common sense tells me that if I am defending myself, if I get my leg THAT high, that just makes it all the easier for an attacker to grab my leg or sweep my supporting leg and plant me on my behind!  The first rule of self defense is that you never kick above the waist.  A well placed kick to the knee can disable an attacker and you, being wise, perform "kata number one," also known as "RUN."  

Now, as far as the "weight" issue...well, I look at it this way... I would much rather be the weight I am (not that I couldn't lose some poundage!) and participate in martial arts, rather than be extremely skinny and try to do the same things I do.  One of the techniques to avoid getting knocked down is to get lower than your attacker.  That takes muscle in the legs to support your weight.  To be perfectly honest, I'm built (relatively speaking) more like a brick wall than a split rail fence.  And that's perfectly okay!  You work with what you have.  Not only that, but martial arts (or any full body sports activity) can help you lose weight in a healthy way or even gain (with added muscle you can develop) weight. Muscle weighs more than fat and you will never look like the Incredible Hulk unless you began taking steroids.  Muscle weighs more, but makes you look smaller and helps you burn more calories.  Don't misunderstand! For individuals who are slender, martial arts is an excellent sport!  One thing you learn regardless of weight is how to distribute your weight or balance to your benefit.  

If you want to see women doing martial arts check out this video of a woman performing a kata at the ISKF Nationals here.  This lady is average height and weight, but she performs with power, precision, and grace.  Here is yet another woman at a Shotokan Tournament performing a kata known as Passai or Bassai.  I really like this!  And finally, this kata, a different version of Bassai, is performed by a woman who is not at all like me in body type, but wow!  Her speed and precision is something I aspire to.  Also note by how worn her black belt is...it's nearly white which indicates that she has studied for a very long time.  So much so, that she has nearly come full circle back to white belt!  (As an aside, she would be in MY division if I were to ever compete in that particular tournament!)

The final point is that, whatever your activity (running, biking, martial arts, fencing...) use that wonderful tool known as the Internet if you must, but find individuals who do what you are interested in and emulate them!  If it doesn't inspire you, then it's not worthwhile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment