Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Martial Arts and "Arts"

One thing that I have noticed, and this was incidentally pointed out to me not long ago, is that people I know who study martial arts, a) tend to be involved in another facet of "art," be it music, dance, or art, and b) also tend to be accomplished in other areas.  For instance, Hanshi Doug Perry from Hendersonville, NC is the first non-Okinawan promoted to ninth degree black belt in shorin-ryu karate.  For those who know how long the journey to receive a shodan (1st degree) rank in martial arts is, to have attained a ninth degree belt is incredible! Unsurprisingly, he was distinguished in the military as well. What few people know, however,  is that Hanshi (or Sensei, as most still refer to him) Perry is also national champion in the art of shagging!  Having met Sensei Perry several times over many years, he is also one of the most humble individuals I have had the pleasure to know. 

In my own small dojo, we have six individuals at nidan (2nd degree) rank.  Of those six people, two are accomplished artists in painting and one is an experienced flute player.  I have some musical aspirations, as well, in that I play bass guitar, bass steel drums, and baritone horn (hmm...notice a theme here?).  While this is small evidence to "prove" my theory, the reality is that martial arts can enhance other endeavors, particularly those involving creativity and diligence.  I know for a fact that musicians spend HOURS practicing their instruments, not unlike the HOURS we spend practicing kata and technique.  Actually, kata, as a series of set movements or patterns, can equate to songs or performance pieces, and basic techniques in karate can be compared to scales, music theory, or rhythm.  I would imagine that there are similar comparisons to the mediums of painting, sculpting, or drawing as well.  Kata, in fact, actually were "dances" meant to disguise the fighting arts in ways that the conquerors of Okinawa (for example) could not understand.  Thus, the linkage between karate and the arts are perhaps irretrievably linked. 

As far as how studying the martial arts (no matter what your age!) can help one achieve in other areas of life...well, first and foremost, karate requires discipline, dedication, determination, diligence, and any other "D" words I may have forgotten.  Any goal requires the same.  Having recently signed up to do a triathlon, I have several times stopped myself and thought, "what the heck am I doing?  I'm not good at swimming, biking, or running!"  But, I am pretty good at karate, or at least what it takes to get better at karate.  So, while I won't "wow" anyone with my times, set any PRs, or finish the race looking as if I just went for a stroll in the woods, I do intend to finish.   I also am very aware that it will take...guess what?  HOURS of training! 

The bottom line for anyone is not that if you want to be a better musician, artist, or dancer that you HAVE to study martial arts.  However, the awareness of one's body and mind (zanshin) and the dedication and determination to do a thing and do it to the best of your ability can certainly enhance your art!  

No comments:

Post a Comment