Friday, July 6, 2012

Living the Way of Truth

A very important tenet in my study of wado ryu karate has been the principle- "Live the way of truth."  I have given this principle a great deal of thought, as something that sounds so simple generally isn't.

This principle sounds the most obvious of the dojo precepts, right?  Boiled down to the basics, it means "don't lie."  Right?

Haha!  Wrong!  I think this principle, next to the one about patience, is the most difficult.  I decided to write about this principle because I personally know an individual who demonstrated this concept.

One of my fellow martial artists (I'm keeping his name confidential), recently had a situation in his workplace in which another individual (who is subordinate to my friend) was placed at risk of great harm by one of my friend's colleagues.  His colleague physically attacked the subordinate and was quite literally choking the subordinate.  My friend was forced to intervene to ensure that the subordinate did not get any more seriously hurt.  In addition, once he was asked by his superiors what happened, there was an assumption by his colleagues, at large, that he would take his colleague's side.  He didn't do so...as his own integrity required him to "live the way of truth."  He experienced some grief for his decision, at least through the grapevine, as he heard grumblings that he "should have" backed up his colleague, even though his colleague was clearly in the wrong.  His superiors did the right thing in ending his colleague's employment.  My friend never even considered lying for his colleague, though clearly his peers felt he should have done so. 

As a martial artist (especially the super hero kind!), we are, again, held to a higher standard.  Now, I happen to know that my friend is a very spiritual individual and is very open about his faith.  Needless to say, while this quite likely influences his decisions, my friend had to deal with a very difficult, very physical situation in which a life could have been lost.  He chose to "live the way of truth" in a way that reflects not only his Christianity, but also, I believe, the embodiment of his belief in the dojo principles. While I believe that I would have chosen the same path that he did, we don't really know until we are tested. 

So, living the way of truth isn't just about what we SAY, but is also about what we DO.  It reminds me that if I cut someone off in traffic, or get upset because something doesn't go my way, or I yell at my waitress because my food isn't just right, that I am demonstrating my integrity (or rather the lack, thereof).  My friend, who I have always admired because he's an awesome guy, just increased my respect for him tenfold.  I can only hope to live out the same example he gives me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie! It's Natalia (..Ivan's brother, used to train at JKI). I found your blog from the JKI website. It's great to read that you are continuing training and evolving mentally with it. I hope the dojo is thriving and happiness abounds.

    MUCH love,

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete